How to bet on horse races
If you are just starting out as a horse racing punter, you need all the help you can get to make winning bets.
There are two types of wages you can place; exotic wagers and straight wagers. For beginners, straight wagers are the easiest and also the least expensive. All you have to do is pick the horses that will come in first, second or third. A bet will cost you a couple of dollars. With exotic wagers, you make several bets on several horses in one bet. Making a winning exotic bet needs a greater understanding and skill in picking winning horses. These bets also cost more and players get larger payoffs.
Straight wager terms you should know
Win- This bet is that a horse that will come first. If your selected horse wins, you collect your winnings.
– Place – When you bet on a horse to place, you are betting that the horse will come in first or second. If this happens you win. The winnings are less that those of a win bet but the risk for a place bet is less.
– Show -This is a bet that a horse will come in first, second or third. Again, the risk of losing is reduced and the wins are correspondingly less.
– Across the board – This is a bet that a horse will finish first, that it will come in first and second and that it will come in first, second and third. It is a triple bet in one. This is also why it costs more. A second place finish wins you the place and show money and a third place finish get you the show money.
– Win/Place, Place/Show – With the win/place bet, you are betting that a horse will win and place. If the horse wins, you collect winnings for the win and place money. If the horse takes the second position, you get only the place money. With a place/show bet, you bet that a horse will place and show. If the horse finishes second, you collect place and show winnings and if the horse finishes third, you only get the show money. This wager is a multiple bet in one so it costs more.
Exotic wager terms you need to learn
– Exacta – This is a bet on two horses that you believe will come in first and second in an exact order. You can ‘box’ your exacta bet meaning your can bet that two horses will come in any order in the two spots. This will also get you a win. Boxing an exacta costs double the amount of a straight exacta bet.
– Quinella – This is a bet on two horses to come in first and second in any order. As long these horses take the top two spots, you win.
– Trifecta – this is a bet on the three horses that you believe will come in first, second and third in an exact order. You can box in a trifecta bet so that you still win if the three horses you have chosen come in first, second and third in any order. Boxing a trifecta bet costs more because it has more combinations.
– Superfecta – This is a bet on the four horses you believe will finish first, second, third and fourth in an exact order. You can also box a superfecta at an extra cost. This bet is popular because the minimum bet is very low.
Making a winning bet
Don’t be discouraged if you lose more than you win the first few times you place bets at the races. It will take time to know the different horses and how they run against other horses so that you can make winning predictions.
Learn more about betting on horse races on Bet365 Australia here